The Dominican Abbey, Lorrha
The Dominican Abbey is located beside the present day Roman Catholic Church. The Dominican Order was founded in 1215 by St. Dominic. Their rules were based on poverty and preaching. The order came to Ireland in 1224 and by 1300 had 24 friaries, Lorrha of course being one of these. The abbey was founded in 1269 by Walter De Burgo, Earl of Ulster, and was dedicated to St.Peter, an Italian preacher who was martyred in 1252 and canonised two years later. The Dominicans were active in Lorrha for over 500 years and survived through many turbulent times in Irish history. Their legacy is now the skeleton of the once bustling abbey that stands a silent reminder of Lorrha’s historical and monastic past.