Redwood Castle, Lorrha
Today Redwood Castle is one of the oldest castles in Ireland, still owned by it's original clan, the MacEgans. The castle remained in ruins up until the 1970's when a Castlebar lawyer undertook its restoration. Michael Egan restored the entire castle to its former glory where he used it for a second family home. Now owned and run by his daughter, Coleesa, the castle opens to the public during summer months as a sight of historic interest.
On visiting, you will be warmly welcomed and led through the castle by a tour guide. Tours consist of a talk on the history of the castle from its construction in the 1200's right up to the present era, climbing the spiral stone staircase to the main banquet halls and bed chambers, visiting the castle's own private Oratory, viewing photos of the building prior to restoration and finally taking in the beautiful views from the roof top terrace. Tours last approximately one hour. Call 087-7479566 for booking info.
Tour Info for 2018 as follows:
May 21st -May 25th Inclusive
May 28th - June 10th Inclusive
July 16th - September 5th Inclusive